Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Feature: Engine Swaps 3/4


Swapping engines has been commonplace since the customization of pre-war cars. At one time “the flatty” or flathead, was the preferred choice, but that was overthrown by the early hemi that came the in the ‘50s and the ‘60s. By the ‘70s, the small-block Chevy became the most common choice since the ‘80s. By that point, the 350 cu in (5.71) Chevy engine were found practically everywhere.

The flatheads and early hemis have not exclusively disappeared, but they are becoming more readily available, with the ease of maintenance and the low cost of replacement parts; the SB Chevy has become the frequent choice when swapping when swapping engines.

Now that you know the basics. How do you view your car? Is it just something that gets you to and from a place or is it more that that? Have you named your car. I did...her name is Sephyr, because she is black like a dragon. I also view my Sephyr as a work of art not just a car. So, please tell me about your car.

1 comment:

  1. If I remember correctly, one could swap the engine of some of the Porsches into Volkswagons with very few extra parts, resulting in a VW bug could reach rather unsafe speeds... I think I've been in a bug both with and without a Porsche engine and it was crazy fun.

    ReplyDelete